IONIQ 5 - Why Are Korean Electric Cars Popular Around The World? 

IONIQ 5

Talk event at Hyundai House Harajuku on April 13th. It's been a long time coming, but let's take a look at the contents of the soon-to-be-delivered IONIQ 5 and what makes this new electric vehicle so popular around the world. World Car of the Year Triple Crown Hyundai's new electric car "IONIQ 5" was announced to be launched in Japan in February this year and orders have been accepted since May 2nd.

European Market Rocked 

 Its orders have been accepted and have attracted attention in Europe and the United States, where it was released ahead of schedule, and won German Car of the Year 2022 last November. The IONIQ 5 also finished third and was named British Car of the Year this March. At the New York International Auto Show held in April in the United States, it received all three nominations: World Car of the Year, World Electric Car of the Year and World Car Design of the Year.  It is highly rated all over the world. 

 What's So Attractive About It ? 

Though it is highly rated, yet it is getting public attention. On EV smart's blog on the "Hyundai House Harajuku" pop-up store that opened in Harajuku for a limited time on April 13, 2022, "Special Talk Event took place. - From an EV perspective I want to know about IONIQ 5. We hosted a talk show called the overview. As the editor-in-chief of the EV smart blog, I, Yorimot, will serve as a moderator and share personal information about Mr.  Tatsuya Hamada, Japan EV Meetup organizer, EV smart staff, and Tesla on behalf of EV users. Takahiko Hatamoto, also known as Teskas, took the stage one by one. He talked for about an hour about the IONIQ 5 and life in electric vehicles from various angles, including a Q&A with his product specialist, Mr. Tsuyoshi Sato, senior at Hyundai Mobility Japan There are reports that it will start shipping soon. I frequently test drive the IONIQ 5 myself and feel it's an attractive EV, and I've received many test drive reports from editors.

ALSO READ


 What Is The IONIQ 5 That Is Highly Appreciated Around The World? 

These reports reveal upon very important information. That, IONIQ 5 developed from a customer perspective Mr. Hammer, who was in the phase, has a Nissan Leaf and a Tesla Model X, Mr. Teskas has a Model 3, and I have a used 30 kWh Leaf. The discussion event started with an exchange of first impressions, as each of them tried the IONIQ 5 beforehand. Honestly, what do you think about driving? (ALSO READ THIS ARTICLE)

 Hamada: I just took a test drive in Harajuku about an hour before the talk show. Even during short runs I could clearly see how quiet it was and was able to appreciate the high performance. Hatamoto: I tried sleeping in the car and driving long distances with the IONIQ 5 several times. I was impressed by the good handling, which I could not imagine from the size of the body. Being able to check the surroundings using the 3D monitor was useful. It appears to have been developed from the user's perspective. Uses V2L (with AC100V power supply). 


 The other day I went to eat yakiniku at Ionic 5 in Matsusaka City, Mie Prefecture. I felt it was a model that, from a user's point of view, condenses the similarity to the EV and the unique charm of the EV. From inertia to one pedal, the rocker switch that can be quickly operated is symbolic. What type of electric vehicle was the IONIQ 5 aimed at? Yorimoto: I agree that the IONIQ 5 offers the appeal of an electric vehicle.

E-GMP, S 1st Design

 This conversation of Yorimoto explains everything about Ioniq 5. But, the question is if there is a worldview you are aiming for with the IONIQ 5. Sato: The IONIQ 5 is the first model developed using Hyundai Group's E-GMP platform for electric vehicles. As Hyundai, we are proud to have been able to fully demonstrate the "goodness of electric vehicles". The good points of an EV are "fast" and "convenient", but the good point of the IONIQ 5 is that it is an electric car that extends the life of the car and the lifestyle of the customers who become owners. 


Introduction Of V2L

With the introduction of V2L, these owners are delighted. The car company can extract AC100V from an AC100V outlet and a normal charging port, the indoor space, such as a living room with a flat floor, expands and expands the use of the car outside. What points did you focus on when starting in Japan? Yorimoto: Were there any specific points that you paid attention to when starting in Japan? Sato: The IONIQ 5 is the first Hyundai car sold in Japan in 12 years. 

After retirement, our R&D center of IONIQ 5, engineers and designers continued to work in Japan and serve Japanese customers. This time I realized that I did not listen to the voices of Japanese customers. Hatamoto: For example, the navigation system is easy to use. As I drove along the highway, I was surprised by the detailed "how many meters to go" warning to the speed check point. Sato: The navigation system uses map data from Zenrin, a company that has a good reputation in Japan and was carefully developed in Japan. 

Especially Designed For Japanese Customers

The user interface of that company ( THAT HAS A GOOD REPUTATION IN JAPAN ) is also specially designed for ease of use by Japanese customers. Hamada: The turn signal lever is located on the right side, just like Japanese cars. Even if it was only for a short time, I felt that the lessons learned 12 years ago were being applied. Sato: Japanese cars are JIS standard, so the turn signal is on the right side. The left side of most imported cars is the left turn signal, just as the international ISO standard is on the left. However, 95% of people in Japan drive Japanese cars, so a smooth transition was important for most people. 


                           In spite of that transition of japanese car, Changing the position of the blinker lever requires an investment as a manufacturer, but I think it is necessary. Sato: (The Model 3 and Model Y) are similar in class and price range, so I'd be lying if I said I didn't know about them. Especially in Japan, we held many meetings to "listen to the voice of the customer" to "make an electric vehicle that is easy for the customer to operate". 

Unique To Tesla

 There are some points for these customers to operate that are unique to Tesla, such as online sales methods, and I think the service system is one of them. I opened a customer center in Shin-Yokohama, but will a service car like Tesla be introduced? Sato In our company, we call this "mobile service" and have a system in place to access and respond to customers from our headquarters as needed. There is currently only one base in Shin-Yokohama, but we plan to expand to other major cities across the country in the future.

                                                          This plan to expand can be materialized by sheer courage and commitment. I have a question about this, how many kilometers from the Customer Center can I use the free mobile service? Sato: Right now we are planning to move to a 50km radius. Hamada: Some Japanese users may have trouble receiving cellular services, but in my experience with Tesla cellular services, they are very convenient. When I worked from home and had online.


ALSO READ